Learning how to bet on the NFL is quite an easy task if you have the right information. Once you have all the information, you need to gain an edge over the oddsmaker. You can head to any US sportsbooks that we have recommended and start betting. The NFL is by far the most favoured league in the United States. This is also evidenced by the fact that hundreds of thousands of bettors wait with bated breath for the Superbowl when it is football season.
We have decided to compile a guide on how to bet on the NFL. This will help you get acquainted with the betting rules. You too can be part of the electrifying action that usually accompanies the Superbowl or any football match. People across the United States continuously look for favourable betting lines at the top sportsbooks in the country. We have made the job easier for you. You don’t have to look far for sportsbooks, we have suggested some of the best in the country.
Top US Sportsbooks for NFL Betting
Reading NFL Betting Lines
The first thing that you will have to learn is how to read the wagering lines. This is before you learn how to bet on the NFL. In general, reading betting lines is simple.Some sportsbook will use the plus/minus system while others will use fractions and decimals. This means that the favoured team will be represented with a minus (-) sign while the underdog team will be represented with a (+) sign. For example:
New Orleans Saints +6
Atlanta Falcons -6
This means that the Saints are considered the underdog in this scenario and have been given 6 points while the Falcons are deemed the favourite, so they have 6 points less. This is the simplest way of reading betting lines.
A sportsbook that does not use the plus/minus sign to represent the favoured team, as well as the underdog, should not be considered as a serious oddsmaker. When you are learning how to bet on the NFL, it is also essential to look out for sportsbooks that may be a bit shady.
Learn How to Bet on the NFL
Since you know how to read betting lines, the next step in this process is learning how to bet on the NFL. The first thing that you need to understand that the sportsbook will take its percentage from the bet you have placed. This is called the Vigor the Juice. It’s similar to the house edge at casinos. The Vig varies depending on the oddsmakers that you have chosen.
Placing NFL Bets
Making bets is very easy. There are many different types of bets that you can choose from:
- Moneyline: This is when you pick which team you think will win the game. Sometimes you will hear other bettors referring to this bet as the straight up bet. This is because you are simply choosing which team you think will win. We all know that no two teams are built the same, so the skills may not be matched. So, choosing the team that you think will win is a low-risk bet.
- Points Spread: The sportsbook will set a figure when it comes to this bet. This bet levels the playing field, the underdog team, will be given points while the favourite team will have points taken away. This is the plus/minus system we referred to earlier. If you have bet on the underdog, your team must not lose more than the set points on the spread. However, if you have a bet on the favourite team, then it should win by more than the set figure.
- Totals: The total of any given football game is the combined number of points scored by both teams. The sportsbook will set the total points that it thinks will be scored by the teams. You have to guess whether the total will be over or under the set amount. This bet is also called the Over/Under Wager.
- Futures: The futures bet is made on occasions that may happen within a tournament or a single game. You can bet on any event that you think will happen. For example, who you think will win the game, to which team will be victorious in each division. You can go wild with the futures bet; this is probably why it’s loved so much.
Choosing the Right Sportsbook
Once you have learnt how to bet on the NFL, the next logical step is to find the best sportsbook for you. There are a few things that you need to look out for when choosing an oddsmaker:
- Bonus rewards – the sportsbooks you have chosen must have some rewards program. As a bettor, you have to feel like you are appreciated. Bonuses are a great way to show gratitude to punters.
- User-Interface – the user-interface has to be on point. If you are finding it challenging to locate some things. Or some of the information is difficult to read. Then you should not be a part of that sportsbook family.
- Live Betting Options – As bettors, we love to bet on ongoing games, this option is quite helpful when we want to be part of the real live action of the game.
See more NFL Guides: