Africa Cup of Nations Betting Guide in the USA
2019 marks the 32nd edition of the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON). This is the primary international football competition that is held in Africa. The tournament is organized by the Confederation of African Football (CAF). This is the biggest football event in the continent for national teams.
In 2019 this football event was moved from January to June, and then the number of teams was increased from 16 to 24. The 32nd edition of the Africa Cup of Nations is held in Egypt. In the beginning, 50 teams had entered for the qualification stage and the host nation, Egypt, had an automatic spot.
Initially, Egypt was not the intended host nation. However, the Africa Cup of Nations Champions Cameroon could not host, so the honours were given to Egypt. There is a lot about the AFCON that you need to know before you start betting. This guide was created to help you navigate your way through betting for this prestigious event.
Recommended AFCON Sportsbooks USA
History of African Cup of Nations
The first Africa Cup of Nations tournament was held in 1957, and this event was in tandem with the creation of the Confederation of African Football (CAF). Initially, three teams participated in the first tournament. Only two matches were played. The host nation for that tournament was Sudan, and Egypt defeated then in the Semi-final. Egypt went on to defeat Ethiopia in the final game of the competition.
After the first tournament, the event continued to be held in different countries in the African continent every two years. This tradition was changed in 2013 when the Africa Cup of Nations was held in odd-numbered years. This change was made to make sure that the AFCON tournament did not clash with FIFA World Cup.
Over the years we have seen the Africa Cup of Nations tournament grow to a point where a qualifying phase had to be introduced.
Africa Cup of Nations Betting Odds
The top contenders in the Africa Cup of Nations are the only ones that are worth mentioning for winning the championship. The Senegalese team has been placed at 9/2 in sportsbooks for winning the AFCON this year. Senegal lost a match to Algeria in the second group match. However, the Lions of Terenga bounced back when they won 3-0 to Kenya. This win ensured their spot in the Round of 16.
Algeria should not be counted out. The team was through in Group C before Senegal. The team was doing very well in the competition, having won three games with a total of 6 goals. Sportsbooks have Algeria’s odds at 7/1.
Senegal is the favourite amongst bettors, and now that they have reached the final stages of the 32nd tournament their odds have increased. However, you should not discount the Algerian’s from winning the match. They have performed impeccably in this tournament, and they have the support of the north countries in the competition.
Winners of Recent Africa Cup of Nations
- Cameroon won the trophy in 2000 when the tournament was hosted Ghana and Nigeria. This was after defeating Nigeria for the title of champions.
- In 2002 Cameroon went on to defend their title against Senegal and was able to win their fourth title in the tournament.
- Tunisia followed in 2004 when the team defeated Morocco in a thrilling match.
- From 2006 to 2010 Egypt came out of nowhere to dominate the Africa Cup of Nations tournament.
- In an emotional win, the Zambians claimed the title in 2012. The tournament was hosted in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea when the Zambians lifted their first AFCON trophy.
- In 2013 the Africa Cup of Nations was switched to odd-numbered years. Where South Africa hosted and Nigeria won their third title since 1994.
- In 2015 Ivory Coast ended their long wait for the victory when they won.
- Cameroon came around in 2017 and won, and they were the defending champions in the 2019 tournament until they were kicked out.
See other Sports Tournament Guides:
- FIFA World Cup